Print a Sign-In Sheet | Spanish Version Coming Soon
Chainsaw operation poses a variety of serious hazards including noise, moving parts, flying debris, and cut hazards. The figure below illustrates chain saw injuries to the body for one year and demonstrates the need for Head to Toe Protection.
In order to provide Head to Toe Protection, the following PPE must be worn when operating a chainsaw: (The picture above shows an adequately protected operator)
- Head Protection – Hard hats must always be worn when overhead hazards such as falling tree branches are present.
- Eye/Face Protection – All protective equipment must be ANSI Z87 rated.
- Leg Protection- Operators must wear cut-resistant leg protection that extends from the upper thigh down to the boot top to cover the leg. Examples include chaps, logger pants, and leggings.
- Foot Protection- Footwear must be made of a cut-resistant material protect against contact with a running saw.
- Hand Protection- Adequate hand protection should be based on the potential hazards and be able to resist punctures, cuts, and lacerations.
- Hearing Protection- Adequate hearting protection must always be worn while operating chainsaws
- ALL PPE must be inspected prior to each use to ensure it’s in good operating condition.
- PPE Guidelines must always be followed while operating a chainsaw.
KEMI does not assume liability for the content of information contained herein. Safety and health remain your responsibility. This information is to be used for informational purposes only and not intended to be exhaustive or a substitute for proper training, supervision or manufacturers’ instructions/recommendations. KEMI, by publication of this information, does not assume liability for damage or injury arising from reliance upon it. Compliance with this information is not a guarantee or warranty that you will be in conformity with any laws or regulations nor does it ensure the absolute safety of any person, place or object, including, but not limited to, you, your occupation, employees, customers or place of business.