Print a Sign-In Sheet | Spanish Version
Before you begin…
- Is the grinder securely mounted to the bench or is the pedestal grinder on a steady surface?
- Is the grinding wheel securely mounted on the machine?
- Is the wheel the right size and speed for the machine?
- Is the cover to the power transmission motor securely in place?
- Are you using the right type of wheel for the job?
- The grinder should be connected to a working exhaust system.
- Work rests should be adjusted properly. They should be slightly below the center of the wheel and within an eighth of an inch of the wheel.
- Tongue guards should be adjusted properly to within 1/4 -inch of the wheel.
- Make sure the work area is adequately lit.
- Use guards that enclose most of the wheel surface.
- Store new wheels carefully in a dry area close to the grinding operation to avoid damaging them.
- Never use a wheel that is damaged or defective.
- All operators should be properly trained prior to operating.
- After mounting a wheel or brush and replacing the guard, stand to one side and allow the grinder to run for a minute to insure wheel safety.
- Wait until the grinder has come to full speed before you begin using it.
- Avoid loose hair, scarves, ties, etc. while operating.
- Never leave equipment running unattended.
- Do not hold workpiece with gloves, cloth, or apron.
- Do not hold small objects by hand.
Look out for these hazards:
- Hand injuries as a result of trying to adjust the wheel or rests while wheel is in motion.
- Eye injuries from particles of metal loosened during operation or from a wheel disintegrating due to defectiveness or excessive speed.
KEMI does not assume liability for the content of information contained herein. Safety and health remain your responsibility. This information is to be used for informational purposes only and not intended to be exhaustive or a substitute for proper training, supervision or manufacturers’ instructions/recommendations. KEMI, by publication of this information, does not assume liability for damage or injury arising from reliance upon it. Compliance with this information is not a guarantee or warranty that you will be in conformity with any laws or regulations nor does it ensure the absolute safety of any person, place or object, including, but not limited to, you, your occupation, employees, customers or place of business.