Print a Sign-In Sheet | Spanish Version
Drivers need to remain focused and aware of surroundings, pedestrians and other drivers. Using a cell phone while driving leads to unsafe actions such as:
- Following the vehicle in front of you too closely
- Maintaining improper lane position
- Failing to recognize traffic signals or signs
- Reacting slowly to traffic situations
Drivers using a cell phone are four times more likely than non-cell users to get into accidents. The risk of accident for drivers using a cell phone is as great as for drivers driving while under the influence of alcohol. In fact, cell phone users take three times longer to apply their brakes than drivers under the influence of alcohol. Some studies have even shown that the use of hands-free devices does not improve the level of safety. We should all be aware of the hazards associated with cell phone usage while driving.
Prohibiting the use of cell phones is the only way to keep drivers truly safe from the aforementioned hazards. Follow these safety tips to minimize the chances of injury:
- Pull your vehicle off the road during cell phone use
- If you must use a cell phone while driving, use hands free devices or speaker phones
- Keep conversations short
- Avoid using the cell phone during heavy traffic situations
- Keep extra distance between your car and the car in front of you
KEMI does not assume liability for the content of information contained herein. Safety and health remain your responsibility. This information is to be used for informational purposes only and not intended to be exhaustive or a substitute for proper training, supervision or manufacturers’ instructions/recommendations. KEMI, by publication of this information, does not assume liability for damage or injury arising from reliance upon it. Compliance with this information is not a guarantee or warranty that you will be in conformity with any laws or regulations nor does it ensure the absolute safety of any person, place or object, including, but not limited to, you, your occupation, employees, customers or place of business.